Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Freedom Writers

It is a very touching movie. It teaches us about the real situations that we might face in the classroom. As a teacher trainee, I feel that to some extent this movie exposes me to the reality out there– how it will never be easy for the teacher to handle students from different economical, social and cultural backgrounds. All the challenges that had been faced by Mrs. G perhaps I will face it myself in the near future. The reality will not be as idealized as our imaginary. The school authorities might not be supportive; the parents are unconcerned about the education of their children, and even the students themselves are disinterested in the learning process itself.


How could I survive all these challenges? What should I do to get my students interested in the lesson? I think Mrs. G has done a pretty good job there. She is flexible and changes her method of teaching after the typical chalks and notes do not work out in her classroom. She tries her best to relate the lessons to the real life contexts of students. She tailors her lessons according to the students’ needs. To me, this is the main reason as well why there is the need for education. Lessons should enable students to put into practice what they have learnt in the classrooms. Education should give students an alternative or an opportunity to make changes in their lives. Teachers play the roles to expose these opportunities to the students. However, to change or not to change will depend on the students. At least, we as teachers should have done the best that we could. Teachers are not the perfect persons, but we could learn and grow together with the students along the way. As long as we still have the passion for teaching, there will be ways to make our lessons better, and there will be even more chances for us to express concerns to our students.

However, I do not think I will sacrifice my family because of my career. Perhaps the husband of Mrs. G has some weaknesses himself, but it is also obvious that she has neglected her family. She has some share of fault as well when the marriage fails. Imagine if she has a child? Isn’t it her responsibility as well to educate her own child? I would not do anything so extreme in my life. Yes, teaching might be a vocation to many of us. However, the teaching of Buddha teaches me about the necessity to be modest. We have to follow the middle path if we are to have genuine happiness in our lives. Nothing should be too extreme in our lives, because extreme enjoyment or extreme suffering is not good either. I strongly believe that I should find a balanced point in everything I do. I could be a dedicated teacher while still taking good care of my family. Yes, my students need me, but my elderly parents, my siblings, my future spouse and children need me as well. I have to treat them fairly and be responsible to each and every one of them. All these people are equally important in my life. My life would be sort of incomplete if I am to be without any of them.

No comments: