Monday, March 10, 2008

About Nelson Mandela

After reading on Nelson Mandela’s autobiography, I was very impressed with his leadership and strong determination to fight for equality for every human being. In his autobiography, Nelson Mandela retold his personal experiences on how he was imprisoned and being treated badly on Robben Island, yet, he did not give in to the South Africa government that practicing Apartheid. His keen spirit in fighting for justice made me wanted me to read more about this heroic man.

Nelson Mandela was born in 18 July 1918. He was the former President of South Africa, the first person who was being elected in democratic elections. Before his presidency, Mandela was an anti-apartheid activist and leader of the African National Congress and its armed wing Umkhonto we Sizwe. Among opponents of apartheid in South Africa, he became a symbol of freedom and equality, but the apartheid government condemned him and the ANC as communists and terrorists.

Nelson Mandela went through a lot of hardship, yet, he still fought for his political ideology – to promote democratic society that allowed everyone to have the equal right to vote, to voice up their opinions and to have the freedom to make choices in their lives. Mandela's political was influenced by Mahatma Gandhi, who inspired him and succeeding generations of South African anti-apartheid activists. Here I have taken out the inspiring quotes from Nelson Mandela to share with others. How Nelson Mandela prepared to sacrifice even his own life for his political ideology if it was necessary.

“During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to the struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die.”

Mandela has received more than one hundred awards over four decades, most notably the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993. To millions of people around the world, Nelson Mandela stands for the triumph of dignity over despair, of love over discrimination and evil.

No comments: